Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Trip to the Ballet

Last night I took my daughter to the Nutcracker Ballet. She was suppose to go with my mother, two days before, but the show was temporarily canceled due to a power outage. Although I felt bad for my mother for missing out, this meant I would be the one to go with my daughter. It was wonderful! I got to see the joy and excitement on my daughter's face. She had never seen anything like it- the costumes, the talent, the beautiful story. The music brought back memories of band in high school (umm, I can pretend that I played the clarinet that sweetly, and not squeakily).

We prepared by reading a picture book about the Nutcracker. So, my daughter understood the story. I'm not going to fill you in, if you don't know the Ballet, well, google it or something! Her favorite part was the battle scene. The toy soldiers and Nutcracker fight the Rat King, rats and mice. She also loved that one of the ballerinas wore glasses.

The thing is - I relaxed. I smiled and enjoyed myself. This is a big deal. I have been stressed out for weeks, months maybe. I can't seem to get a handle on it. At home, I made a list of what things I find relaxing. Do you know what I came up with? Not many things. Then, I made a list of what I do to relax, but I don't truly find relaxing or enjoyable. The list was so long! I have come up with two truly relaxing things- Water Aerobics and watching a ballet with my little girl. I started going to water aerobics last week- its hilarious! I think these things keep me from obsessing and worrying, because I'm to busy having fun.

There are other relaxing things, like reading a book, or talking to my friend Sherry with a good cup of Joe (and flavored creamer), and watching a funny show with my DH. But, its hard to remember that doing these things helps me be a good mom and wife. Taking time for yourself isn't a luxury, it keeps you sane! I'm not going to break the bank, but maybe I'll keep my eyes peeled for another good show once in a while and indulge a little.

2 comments:

CAS said...

Taking time for yourself is definitely a must! You might want to try some new hobbies too, such as learning how to crochet or cross stitch, candle making or learning how to sew. Yeah, okay, those are things that help me, but it's worth a shot, right? Remember whatever you do, that you are not being selfish or cheating anyone by taking time for yourself. It's not just a "nice thing", it's a necessity, especially during stressful times. Take care, big sis! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey! Who's Joe?! And why are you drinking him!?