Thursday, July 10, 2008

Social Studies

My daughter has been doing Social Studies a few days a week. For Kindergarten, the curriculum I chose started with Community Helpers. Its a nice introduction because she actually knows a lot about the people who work in our community, and there are tons of kids fiction and non-fiction on community helpers.

So, today we talked about the Dentist. If my husband is reading this right now, he is deciding whether or not he wants to read my blog today. He hates the Dentist soooooo much. I think with good reason. To him, the Dentist means pain. To the kids and I, its not so bad, because we've never had a cavity (yes, I'm 36 and no cavities!)

Anyways, our discussion of helpers sparked a converstation about what my kids want to be when they grow up. The current picks are: Daughter- "fly helicopters in the Coast Guard, because I want to be just like Daddy" and son- "I want to fly airplanes, Mom." When I asked if he wanted to fly helicopters, he said, "No Mommy, I want to be a pilot and fly airplanes." So I asked the question, "Hey guys, does anyone want to stay home like I do, and take care of the kids?" My Daughter told me, "No, Mom you will have to stay home alone. We will go to work with Daddy, and you will be at home, and you will be lonely. Then, we'll come home to eat dinner and go to sleep." Earlier this week, she wanted to know when she could be a Mommy and have babies. She wanted to be a teacher, just like me or Ms. Stephanie, her swim instructor, and Gideon wanted to fly jets.

I have also been told by my daughter, that she wants to learn about flight attendants. It is very important to her. And, when I asked her what other jobs she wanted to know about, she told me, "Oh Mom, you have the list, you know what to teach me!"

Its so much more fun talking about "When I grow up, I want to be ...." than actually growing up and working. Although, today it didn't feel so bad to have grown up to be a homemaker and homeschool teacher. Its didn't feel bad at all.

No comments: