Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Our Camping Trip(s)

Well, we went camping last week.  We were very prepared for our car camping trip.  Except, we were not really prepared.

First, I tried to fit my sleep mat and baby's Peapod sleeping area in the back of the minivan.  Well, they didn't fit.  So, then I tried sleeping on just my mat with the back of the van closed.  I am a bit too tall.  Once I started to load up our gear, there was no way that baby and I could sleep back there anyways. So, we needed a new plan. 

The new plan was to borrow a tent!  We borrowed a 5-6 man tent from the MWR (Morale-Welfare-Recreation?) Its a military service, and they lend out equipment on the base.  I also borrowed a cot, and a few Thermarest sleep mats.  So, we finished packing up and we were ready to go. 

The campsite was gorgeous.  We drove down a dirt road in Pasagshak - to Surfer's Beach.  There was a creek, salmon berry patch and we were right near the ocean.  So pretty!  The kids played while we set up camp.  Baby loved it!  Guess what, the tent was extremely difficult to assemble.  It was missing half the guide lines to the rainfly, and you don't camp in Kodiak without a rainfly.  It was also missing all the stakes for the rainfly.  We made due, because my husband is creative. 

That night, we made a campfire, and we roasted marshmallows, to make smores.  Baby only cried a little bit at bedtime.  When I went to bed, I quickly realized that my camping mattress was awful.  There would be no sleep for me.  Oh, and the camp cot was terrible too, and unusable.  It was very narrow, as well.  Baby woke screaming at 2 AM, but of course I was awake anyways, because my entire body was in pain.  It was raining in the morning.  Also, we could not cook anything, because I forgot the propane at home.

So, we made another plan.  We drove home, about 45 minutes away, and I borrowed another tent from the MWR.  This one was a dome tent, and sleeps 3-4 people.  Then, I bought a BIG COT, seriously, this thing was huge, and a brand new Thermarest mattress at the local sporting goods store.  We drove around trying to find various camping areas with the baby screaming.  We settled on White Sands Beach, in Monashka Bay, on the other side of Kodiak. 

It was just as lovely here, at Monashka bay, and the salmon were jumping out of the water.  What a sight!  Even the baby was laughing, it was so cool!  Everybody went fishing, and my husband caught three pinks, which he threw back.  The BIG COT did not fit in the tent, in fact, had we actually fit it inside the tent, no one else would have fit.  But, this tent was easier to put up.  It had all its stakes and guide lines.  Inside it was very cozy, but we all fit.  My sleeping mat was awesome (we all slept well, even the baby), and I was able to cook spaghetti, because I remembered the propane.

In the morning, in true Kodiak fashion, the weather changed from 20% chance of rain, to 100% rain and rain all day.  So, although we were dry (husband put a tarp over our screen room, and it was awesome), my daughter was cold and unhappy.  So, the kids hung out in the car.  Baby feel asleep on daddy, for 1 1/2 hours.  During this time, I loaded the car, and became a drenched rat.  I noted that I needed better rain gear, like an actual rain coat and rain pants.  I don't actually know how I made it a whole year without these things. 

So, we went home.  But, there was still fishing!  And, my husband and son each caught a pink salmon.  Fresh pinks are ok (not the best, most people just throw them back), they are what's in your canned salmon.  We grilled them up anyways.  My son was so proud to have caught his first fish of the season.  It was ok to be home, because, Baby came down with a fever.  He is ok now, but it last 3 days.

So there it is, camping in Kodiak, the Summer of 2012.  Phew!  I will try to get pictures up here, but I need to figure out my new phone.  Sorry!

1 comment:

Secret said...

LOL. Sounds adventurous. Can't wait to see the pictures! Glad you back home now and the baby is doing better now.