Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The World of Cloth Diapering



















I just ordered $95 worth of cloth diapers and wraps. I am so very excited! The cost of disposable diapers is ridiculous here. So, I took the plunge. Well, I should say, took the plunge again. I tried using prefolds with my daughter 8 years ago. I wasn't very good at this. But, this time, I enlisted the help of a new friend, who is successfully cloth diapering, and we found a great sale!

These things are cute, and got good reviews. I got enough to diaper for 1-2 days, and can order more inserts if I like them. My friend is giving me some prefolds to add to the collection, so I will have a great start. The covers can be used as our baby grows, I will just have to update the inserts with a bigger size, and the newborn size can be used to double the insert, and make it more absorbent.

Diapers here are about $11 a bag- that's between 40 and 60 diapers. That's crazy. With a newborn, I can expect 10-12 changes, so one bag will last me around 4-5 days. That's not even a whole week. Its around 70 dollars a month. So, in less than 1 1/2 months, this purchase will have paid for itself. And, then I just need to launder them. I don't pay for the water, and very little detergent is used. I am excited about this!

I bought fleece liners from Amazon (included in the $95) that should keep my little one's skin dry at night, and will be helpful to keep the diaper liners absorbent if I have to deal with a rash and use diaper cream.

This friend of mine was such a blessing! She hunted online for bargins, and I ended up ordering from a store where she has already made purchases.

After buying the diapers, I finally ordered Redi-shade blackout shades. I just can't handle sleeping when its not dark, and my eye masks are irritating. It is like sleeping in the afternoon, when we have a sunny day. Bright sun at 10 PM is just a big adjustment for me.

I also packed the bag for the hospital, minus some toiletries that I will buy tomorrow. I had another OB check-up today, and go meet my anesthesiologist tomorrow. Then, next week I will have my pre-op appointment, and the 19th, its BABY DAY! I still have to pack a bag for the kids. They will spend the night with a friend, so I don't have to worry about getting everyone ready that morning.

Now, DH is ferrying a helo to Washington, and won't be back until Thursday night, so baby, you must not arrive till after Thursday! I really don't want to have a c-section without my DH there.

Today, my belly was hard a lot. I had lots of Braxton Hicks contractions. The baby is kicking a lot, and I have bad back pain. I am tired out. I am headed to bed next, and its only 9 PM.

1 comment:

Violet said...

Sounds cool! Let me know how it works — E will be in diapers for a while yet ... We're so excited for T's arrival soon! Look for something in the mail within in the next week or so!