Monday, October 13, 2008

Special Education

I have been reading post after post on my Autism Island website. Lots of stuff about disagreements at IEP meetings, poor teaching practices, lack of services and promises of services that are not keep. An IEP is a signed contract, but its a lot of work to follow through (lawyers and crap), so in someways its just a formality. Sure, there are really good schools and classrooms. There are awesome teachers and well trained therapists, but I think they are in short supply now days.

I'm a special education teacher, I've worked both private and public sectors, and all I can say is, what a blessing to be able to homeschool my daughter! What a blessing to be essentially free of all this stuff! I will make mistakes, and I will ask for help sometimes, but its working really well right now, and I don't think we will ever go back.

Today, my daughter has Occupational Therapy and Speech/Language at the local elementary school. Its a good set up. I bring her weekly for an hour session, and have "homework" for the week, input on some specific areas of weakness. And, she is meeting her goals! I love being the classroom teacher.

I have enough in life to juggle right now. I am waiting to hear from a therapist about setting up a consultation for my depression/anxiety. I hate taking care of myself, but I am trying to make it a priority, for once. And, I am waiting to hear from a dog trainer. Our puppy Kindergarten wasn't terribly sucessful. Scotty pees when he sees John, and still puppy bites the kids and I. Plus, all the jumping. I'm glad that I don't have to deal with school staff too (the two I deal with are on my side). I think it would push me over the top.

1 comment:

CAS said...

It is very important that you take care of yourself. The Fifth Commandment goes for you too! You need to keep yourself healthy, not just for the sake of your kids, but for your sake, too!

As for the depression/ anxiety, there's nothing to be ashamed of. If it is a part of life, it is, and it will help you understand more of the gifts that God has given you. It has me! I will be praying for you!

Give a message to 'Nena- I am so proud of you and love you! Give hugs to both your kids for me!